Is Self Help Home Improvement Project part of PG&E?
SHHIP is a local non-profit agency serving low-income residents in Shasta and Tehama Counties. Although we help with PG&E bills and educate the consumer on most of PG&E’s services such as CARE, Medical Baseline, Balanced Payment Plan, etc., we are not affiliated with PG&E.
How can I apply for help with my energy bill?
Call our toll free number at 1-877-801-7692 to request a HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program) application. The application with instructions will be mailed to you within 2-6 business days. Read the instructions, complete the application and return it by mail with the required documentation.
What documentation is required to be submitted with my application?
Each completed and signed application must be accompanied by:
1. Copy of the household’s current energy bill dated within the last 30 days
2. Copies of income documents for ALL income earned from ALL household members for the last 30 days
The HEAP instruction sheet provides detailed information on the types of acceptable income and energy bill documentation needed
What do I do if I’ve received a shut-off notice from PG&E?
The first thing you should do is contact PG&E to make payment arrangements and request an extension on your bill. Call our toll free number at 1-877-801-7692 and press option 2 or 378-6900 to request and application.
How can I apply for free home weatherization?
Owners and renters may apply. If you are a renter, both the renter/applicant and the owner need to sign the weatherization service agreement.
How often can I apply for help?
SHHIP can provide a one-time benefit payment every twelve months. Benefit payments are determined by the household size and income as well as out current priority plan.
May I apply for HEAP if I am currently enrolled in PG&E’s reduced rate program CARE (California Alternate Rate for Energy)?
May I apply for HEAP if I have received energy bill payment assistance from other programs such as REACH (R…E…A…C…H)?
Does the energy bill need to be in my name?
Any person over the age of 18 who lives in the home full time may apply for assistance. The service address on the energy bill must be the physical address at which the applicant lives.
What is weatherization?
SHHIP trained technicians will assess your home and install energy efficient measures as needed. These measures will save you money and make your home safe as well as comfortable.
PG&E is no longer my service provider, but I still owe them money on my closed account. Can you help me?
State guidelines require HEAP funding to be used for a customer’s current energy usage costs.
Do you help with deposits?
State guidelines require HEAP funding to be used for a customer’s current energy usage costs. If you are facing a termination of service due to non-payment of a deposit request, please call our toll free number at 1-877-801-7692 and press option 2 for more information.
How do I know if I qualify for the HEAP program?
1. Your total household monthly income, based on your household size, cannot exceed income eligibility guidelines as shown on the HEAP instruction sheet.
2. You must have a current energy bill with a minimum of 22 days of service.
What kinds of energy bills do you help with?
We can provide payment assistance with the following:
1. Gas and electric. A copy of your most recent bill is required with your application. If your gas and electric is sub-metered a copy of your most recent monthly rental receipt is required with your application.
2. Propane. A copy of your most recent invoice from your propane company or a quote for 100 gallons is required with your application.
3. Wood. Customers requesting assistance with the purchase of wood should indicate this on the application. A wood vendor will call to set up delivery times.
4. Included in Rent. If your utilities are included in your rent we are able to accept a letter from your landlord or property manager stating the dollar amount of your rent that goes toward your home’s energy costs. For your convenience, a simple form that your landlord or property manager can fill out is available by calling our toll free number, or you may print it out directly from our website
My heater, cooler, water heater stopped working. Can you help?
Yes, call us at 530-378-6905 and press 5 to request an application.
Do you have a window replacement program?